Posted 3 weeks ago
Eat Well, Live Well – Gingerbread
– Canola oil spray
– 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
– 1/4 cup light brown sugar
– 1 1/2 Tbsp. ground ginger
– 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
– 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
– 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
– 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
– 1/2 tsp. salt
– 1/2 cup dark unsulfured molasses
– 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
– 6 Tbsp. canola oil
– 1 large egg
– 1/2 cup boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat 9-inch square pan with canola oil spray. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, sugar, spices, baking soda and salt.
2. In a separate large bowl, whisk together molasses, applesauce, canola oil, and egg until well blended. Add the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Whisk in boiling water and pour the batter into a prepared baking pan.
3. Bake for about 35 minutes, until the cake begins to pull away from the pan and a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Invert cake onto a platter and cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
4. Cut into 9 squares and serve warm. For storage, wrap tightly in foil and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Supportive Care Services Department
Areas Brenda has managed include pediatric and neonatal intensive care units where she was responsible for individualizing therapeutic diets and alternate nutrition support based on specific metabolic needs, medical conditions, and cultural preferences.
Her passion for nutrition was developed at a young age and reared by her grandmother who always instilled the importance of a healthy diet and active lifestyle. When her grandmother became ill, Brenda became aware of the impact nutrition plays in disease prevention and maintaining overall mind and body health.