Posted 2 months ago
Eat Well, Live Well – Tangy Sweet Potato and Cannellini Bean Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium sweet potato, diced small
2 cups 1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
3 cups water
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans (or other white bean), drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons hot sauce or to taste (optional)
½ cup chopped cilantro
¼ cup Greek yogurt salt to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes and onion to the pot. Cook until onion becomes translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder and cumin to the pot. Season with salt and stir to coat the spices.
- Add the water and diced tomatoes to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cook the soup for about 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add the cannellini beans, lime juice, and hot sauce, if using. Season with salt and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the beans are warmed through.
- Portion the soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro and a tablespoon of Greek yogurt.
Supportive Care Services Department
Areas Brenda has managed include pediatric and neonatal intensive care units where she was responsible for individualizing therapeutic diets and alternate nutrition support based on specific metabolic needs, medical conditions, and cultural preferences.
Her passion for nutrition was developed at a young age and reared by her grandmother who always instilled the importance of a healthy diet and active lifestyle. When her grandmother became ill, Brenda became aware of the impact nutrition plays in disease prevention and maintaining overall mind and body health.